I walked in to my first period English class, and I will never forget Mrs. Besnard's white face.
First and second period all we did was watch the TV. The principal came over the loud speaker and aksed for a moment of silence. I felt like I was in a movie or something.
It didn't really sink in until the plane in Pennsylvania crashed, it left Newark and was headed to San Francisco, a flight my Dad took all the time!!! I tried to call home for what seemed for hours (really about 20 min) but the phone was busy. Finally my Mom answered and assured me that my Dad had been at the SF airport and was going to drive home.
On our way home from school we tried to change the radio so we could have a brake from it all, we found only one station was was playing music and this is what we heard.
In a New York minute
Everything can change
In a New York minute
Things can get a little strange
In a New York minute
Everything can change
In a New York minute
Mom met us in the garage, we hugged and cried. We watched TV and waited for Dad to get home, it took something like 8 hours for him to get out of the SF airport and home. I remember him seeing a picture of a flight attendant on the airplane that crashed in PA, he cried and I rarely saw him do that. He knew her, she was always on the flights he took.
That night, it rained, it rained hard. I had nightmares about terrorists.
I hope that I never forget the details of that day and those who lost their lives. In that year, my senior year of high school I gained a strong pride of my country and an appreciation for those who put their lives on the line each day for our freedom. I am so proud to be an American and I today I honor and remember all those who's lives were forever changed that day.
1 comment:
Great post Kin.
Post a Comment