Friday, September 11, 2009

In a New York Mintue Everything Can Chage


I remember every detail of that fateful morning 8 years ago. My sister and I were driving to seminary, we heard breaking news that one of the twin towers had been hit by a commercial airplane. As we I walked into class Sister Jensen told us a little more in detail what she knew about what had happened, and then proceeded with the lesson. As we got back in the car to drive to school again turned on the radio to hear that the second tower had been hit and that they were sure it was a terrorist attack.
My first thoughts were a terrorist attack, we live in America, things like that don't happen here, at least big things like that don't happen here. As I walked into Mrs. Besnard's English class, the TV was on and she had tears in her eyes. It was at that moment that I realized something terrible had happened. We did nothing but watch the new first and second period. Towards the end of second period the principal came over the loud speaker and requested a moment of silence, most of us bowed our heads and the room remained very quite. I remember realizing this was history, this "moment of silence" was like the movies when a president has died or when Pearl Harbor was bombed, or when a Space Shuttle had exploded. But, I never thought that anything thing would really happen in my lifetime, not while I was sitting there my senior year of high school in Economics class.

After that, I called home. The plane that had crashed in Pennsylvania had left Newark NJ was headed to San Fransisco. My Dad had left that morning, landed in San Fransisco and was headed to Newark. It was a flight he took often for business and then he would take the Newark - San Fran flight to come home. I knew in my head that he wasn't on that plane but I had to call home just to hear my mom say it. The phone line was busy and it took awhile to get through, everyone had been calling to make sure that he was OK. Dad hadn't gotten on the plane yet and all the fights had been canceled so he rented a car a drove home. I think it took him about 6 hours to get home that day because everyone was doing the same.

The teachers tried to teach and make things as normal as possible but the emotions were strong. Even for high school students, who probably didn't really get it, who probably didn't really understand. It was a somber day, not many people smiled and lots of people cried students and teachers alike.

As my sister and I got back in the truck to go home the song In a New York Minute came on the radio.

In a New York Minute Everything can change

In a New York Minute Things can get pretty strange

In a New York Minute Everything can change

In a New York Minute

Lying here in the darkness I hear the sirens wail

Somebody going to emergency

Somebody's going to jail

If you find somebody to love in this world

You better hand on tooth and nail

The wolf is always at the door

In a New York Minute Everything can change

In a New York Minute Things can get a little strange

In a New York Minute Everything can change

In a New York Minute

I can't hear this song today without crying. My mom met us outside as we pulled into the garage that day, we all held each other and cried. Then went in to all be together and wait for Dad to get home.

I pray that those who lost loved ones on September 11h will have one day have peace, and I am so very thankful for the faithful men and women who fight and who have given their lives for my freedom every day. I think that if we all reflect on exactly where we were that day and how we felt we will remember why it is so important to fight for our freedom and why we live in the greatest county on Earth. May we continue to keep up the fight not only on the battlefields but in our homes,communities and families so that a tragedy like Sept 11th will never happen again. That should be our goal.

I like to think I've grown up a lot in the last 8 years I've become and wife and a mother and I realize more now than ever how true those lyrics are. In a minute everything can change. Hold on to the ones you live, fight for what you believe in and be the best you, you can be.

1 comment:

kkupfer said...

I wanted you to know I loved what you wrote.